Contact FAQ About us

You are not logged in.

#1 November 29, 2013 16:00

tbugrara Offline

Re: Custom map edtior

With Warcraft 3 we saw custom maps, spawning a bunch of creative game modes that were a lot of fun. Do you think it's likely that HotS will come with a map editor? Initially, it coming from Blizzard, I thought it very likely. However, how would they monetize it? Warcraft 3 wasn't free to play so they didn't lose anything from releasing an editor. But with HotS, assuming we'll be able to create our own heroes (like in WC3), how could they make money off of that?

#2 November 29, 2013 18:04

canalla14 Offline

the map editor is already anounced, but i dont think they will permit us to create heroes, only maps

#3 November 29, 2013 18:59

Kweidon Offline
Writer

tbugrara wrote:

However, how would they monetize it?

In three ways, for now:
1. By selling hero skins, just like in LoL and DOTA 2, for real money.
2. Selling individual heroes, but this is still being discussed internally, so their decision is not final on the matter. But if affirmative, they will give you in-game currency with which you will be able to buy these heroes, of course.
3. Selling various talents for each of the heroes. They give you a preset amount of talents for each hero, but if you wish to expand your choice, you will have to buy additional talents. Naturally, you can choose to buy these talents with both real money and in-game currency.

#4 November 29, 2013 22:01

Kub Offline

I wish they would let people make their own custom maps and edit the skills because we played so many types of maps from tower defenses to survival games because of it and no matter what you liked there was a map for you to enjoy.

#5 November 29, 2013 23:34

SgtTenor Offline

Kweidon wrote:
tbugrara wrote:

However, how would they monetize it?

2. Selling individual heroes, but this is still being discussed internally, so their decision is not final on the matter. But if affirmative, they will give you in-game currency with which you will be able to buy these heroes, of course.
3. Selling various talents for each of the heroes. They give you a preset amount of talents for each hero, but if you wish to expand your choice, you will have to buy additional talents. Naturally, you can choose to buy these talents with both real money and in-game currency.

I hope they don't go to route 2. All I know is that I do enjoy the ever so often Playing against BOTS when trying new heroes/Champs out etc. In LOL you can't earn in-game currency to do so. In combination with buying extra talents/Runes etc people could just play the BOTS to earn in-game currency. RIOT caught on to that and got rid of the IP/XP gain playing a custom game against BOTS much to chagrin to many of the players that enjoyed playing BOTS.

#6 December 5, 2013 22:14

Kub Offline

I would love a map editor with the full control over it as it does not affect the main game in any way ,but the problem is there is no ingame resources like in WC3 where gold, lumber and food can be used in custom maps as currency which I hope they implement them for custom maps purpose.

About the company making money they will by selling the skins and mounts mainly which as many people would LOVE a pony mount and WoW themed skins.

I just wish they implement the currency system to be able to be used when making a map for one main reason to re-make the melee maps and other types we love so much like tower defense and if done correctly I'm pretty sure we'll see a WC4.

#7 December 6, 2013 07:19

Myer Offline
Founder

Kub wrote:

I would love a map editor with the full control over it as it does not affect the main game in any way ,but the problem is there is no ingame resources like in WC3 where gold, lumber and food can be used in custom maps as currency which I hope they implement them for custom maps purpose.

About the company making money they will by selling the skins and mounts mainly which as many people would LOVE a pony mount and WoW themed skins.

I just wish they implement the currency system to be able to be used when making a map for one main reason to re-make the melee maps and other types we love so much like tower defense and if done correctly I'm pretty sure we'll see a WC4.

They already have the skull currency though wink ( yes, i know. it's not enough big_smile )

#8 December 6, 2013 07:29

Kweidon Offline
Writer

Myer wrote:

They already have the skull currency though wink ( yes, i know. it's not enough big_smile )

Don't forget about the doubloons. tongue

#9 December 6, 2013 10:10

Myer Offline
Founder

Kweidon wrote:
Myer wrote:

Don't forget about the doubloons. tongue

Oh, yes!

#10 December 6, 2013 21:32

Quadpvp Offline

I agree with the custom map editor for this

I think it would an entire new depth to the game that should be there.

As we all know this game wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for map editors in the first place

#11 December 7, 2013 22:55

Myer Offline
Founder

Quadpvp wrote:

As we all know this game wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for map editors in the first place

It's confirmed that there will be a map editor, don't worry.

#12 December 8, 2013 20:48

Quadpvp Offline

Myer wrote:
Quadpvp wrote:

It's confirmed that there will be a map editor, don't worry.

oh nice? where can i read about this? big_smile

#13 December 8, 2013 20:56

Aldernade Offline

Quadpvp wrote:

oh nice? where can i read about this? big_smile

Both BlizzCon panels regarding Heroes of the Storm, and the fact that it is built off of the StarCraft 2 engine, so any features such as Map Editors, Spectator Mode, and replays will be in this game as well.

Have a question? Want to talk? Send me a PM, and I should respond within 24 hours.

Board footer