Contact FAQ About us

You are not logged in.

#1 February 19, 2014 17:58

Krunk Offline

HotS Q & A #3 discussion thread

Post below on what you thought of the newest Q&A session.

My life for Auir.

#2 February 19, 2014 20:08

Krunk Offline

Re: HotS Q & A #3 discussion thread

That horrible stream echo aside,

while it's not really exciting new stuff to see, I did like a little peak into the world of the art team. It was especially exciting seeing the detail they put into upgrading the hero models. Seeing art stuff like this makes me think we are getting quite close to beta so I'm pretty hopeful.

I also thought it was quite hilarious that they said they are gonna start taking down things related to that alpha client that people data-mined from somewhere, but again they acknowledged that they are moving forward still so I'm hopeful.

Liked the show match, though it was just more of the same. Throughly enjoyed the two casters from blizzard instead of a guest caster who doesn't contribute much.

My life for Auir.

#3 February 19, 2014 20:15

maxilian Offline

I'm quite sad noone asked about the lore of the game (if its going to have a progresive storyline like LoL)

#4 February 20, 2014 14:08

Kweidon Offline
Writer

maxilian wrote:

I'm quite sad noone asked about the lore of the game (if its going to have a progresive storyline like LoL)

They've already said all there is to the lore. There's the Nexus and it's a clash of all realities, and that's that.

Last edited by Kweidon (February 20, 2014 14:11)

#5 February 20, 2014 14:11

maxilian Offline

Kweidon wrote:
maxilian wrote:

They've already said all there is to the lore. There's the Nexus and it's a clash of all realities, and that's that.

Yeah, they said only that, but how will the heroes take part in the lore, will they create a new "story" for them? (for example: Arthas is dead already, but in HoS he's not dead and they make him become Kerrigan allies and they fight Diablo together who they end up killing and Arthas rise him  bla bla bla ), or will the heroes be the same as the players in wow, where they don't have an actual lore and are just random champions that helped in the moment

#6 February 20, 2014 14:14

Kweidon Offline
Writer

maxilian wrote:
Kweidon wrote:
maxilian wrote:

Yeah, they said only that, but how will the heroes take part in the lore, will they create a new "story" for them? (for example: Arthas is dead already, but in HoS he's not dead and they make him become Kerrigan allies and they fight Diablo together who they end up killing and Arthas rise him  bla bla bla ), or will the heroes be the same as the players in wow, where they don't have an actual lore and are just random champions that helped in the moment

Just because he's dead in the official cannon, there might be a parallel universe where he's still alive. Or he has been taken while he was still alive. Or the Nexus simply creates copies of each hero. They don't have to explain in, as that would kill the magic of it. And WoW, what? No. All the heroes already have their lore, and it is clearly shown in the verbal interactions between each of them.

#7 February 20, 2014 14:16

maxilian Offline

Kweidon wrote:
maxilian wrote:
Kweidon wrote:

Just because he's dead in the official cannon, there might be a parallel universe where he's still alive. Or he has been taken while he was still alive. Or the Nexus simply creates copies of each hero. They don't have to explain in, as that would kill the magic of it. And WoW, what? No. All the heroes already have their lore, and it is clearly shown in the verbal interactions between each of them.

Yeah i know and understand that, my question is... will they have a story in HoS? who they interact in the Nexus? what are their plans or goals in these new "universe"? etc...

#8 February 20, 2014 14:27

Kweidon Offline
Writer

maxilian wrote:

Yeah i know and understand that, my question is... will they have a story in HoS? who they interact in the Nexus? what are their plans or goals in these new "universe"? etc...

I think you're just looking on it at a wrong angle. Look, here's a direct quote from the leaked alpha tutorial, in case you've missed it:

Raynor: Look, before I go someplace new, I gotta know what I'm getting into... What exactly is this Nexus place?
Uther: The Nexus is a cosmic storm where worlds collide from across time, space and even dimension.
Uther: More and more of us are being called into this enigmatic realm, tested in the forge of combat against others of equal merit.
Raynor: So I'm here to fight things?
Uther: And achieve glory.
Raynor: Okay, simple enough for me... Let's go.

There's no particular story as per say. They're interacting among themselves, obviously. Yes, if you want to go deeper, it might sound incredulous, but they're there fight. Or you could attribute it to gods that have summoned these heroes there and put a spell on them. If Blizzard wants to go any deeper than that, they would do so. But there's no indication of it. After all, it's a spin-off of all their games, just as Hearthstone is a spin-off of Warcraft. Do you expect a story from how these characters got together to play a card game? It's almost the same thing here.

Last edited by Kweidon (February 20, 2014 14:27)

#9 February 20, 2014 14:48

maxilian Offline

Kweidon wrote:
maxilian wrote:

I think you're just looking on it at a wrong angle. Look, here's a direct quote from the leaked alpha tutorial, in case you've missed it:

Raynor: Look, before I go someplace new, I gotta know what I'm getting into... What exactly is this Nexus place?
Uther: The Nexus is a cosmic storm where worlds collide from across time, space and even dimension.
Uther: More and more of us are being called into this enigmatic realm, tested in the forge of combat against others of equal merit.
Raynor: So I'm here to fight things?
Uther: And achieve glory.
Raynor: Okay, simple enough for me... Let's go.

There's no particular story as per say. They're interacting among themselves, obviously. Yes, if you want to go deeper, it might sound incredulous, but they're there fight. Or you could attribute it to gods that have summoned these heroes there and put a spell on them. If Blizzard wants to go any deeper than that, they would do so. But there's no indication of it. After all, it's a spin-off of all their games, just as Hearthstone is a spin-off of Warcraft. Do you expect a story from how these characters got together to play a card game? It's almost the same thing here.

Yeah, but i want someone to ask because i actually would love to see Blizzard going deeper, i would love to see how some champions interact with someone else...

Until Blizzard says the contrary i want to believe they are going to give us a deep lore (maybe not as deep and elaborated as the other games lore -Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft-

Last edited by maxilian (February 20, 2014 14:49)

#10 February 20, 2014 20:28

Kweidon Offline
Writer

maxilian wrote:

Yeah, but i want someone to ask because i actually would love to see Blizzard going deeper, i would love to see how some champions interact with someone else...

Until Blizzard says the contrary i want to believe they are going to give us a deep lore (maybe not as deep and elaborated as the other games lore -Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft-

Fair enough. I just don't see much point in it, as it's supposed to be goofy. I mean, how can you take lore so seriously when you're able to play as Murkablo? tongue

#11 February 21, 2014 02:02

Krunk Offline

I don't think we will really have a deep lore if any at all. I may be convinced they would have a slight lore but let's look at where blizzard get's it's lore from.

Starcraft universe it ALL comes from campaign missions and not even a little bit from it's multiplayer component.

Diablo universe it comes from playing through the acts and interacting with NPCs to get tid bits of information about sanctuary, and then stopped after you played through it to the end despite the continued play on harder difficulties.

Warcraft universe Used to be entirely from campaigns like Starcraft and then transitioned into WoW which basically made campaigns on a regular basis that you played through by yourself of with friends.

Not to mention the diligent writing staff they have that releases books on all these topics.

Hearthstone at the moment has no conceivable lore and simply has many characters from throughout the Warcraft universe massed up into decks that people play regardless of previous lore like alliance heroes playing Tauren warriors. Lore does exist for it's components (the cards and the heroes) but are simply mashed up in a way that is fun and engaging.

Personally I feel that unless they are secretly making a campaign for this game which would play out a lot like Diablo would I suppose (with the one hero running around killing stuff with 4 abilities) That the extent of the lore found in Heroes of the storm will be in the little phrases characters say to each other when they see each other in a battle. This game, much like hearthstone in my opinion, seems to be focused on quick games with a completely unknown hero composition to the Dev team which makes it incredibly difficult if you were trying to write a story with short multiplayer battles. While the introduction level will have a slight amount of lore I don't think it will go much deeper, unless they decided to write a book in the nexus or something. Much like Kweidon said when you have skins like Murkablo and you basically make things up all the time for the heroes it can also be difficult to make undisputable canon for each hero and skin type in the parallel universe, maybe they will have flavor text for each skin which could quialify as some limited lore but I don't see it going further than that. All I see here is "here is a parallel univers, have fun".

My life for Auir.

#12 February 21, 2014 14:06

maxilian Offline

Krunk wrote:

I don't think we will really have a deep lore if any at all. I may be convinced they would have a slight lore but let's look at where blizzard get's it's lore from.

Starcraft universe it ALL comes from campaign missions and not even a little bit from it's multiplayer component.

Diablo universe it comes from playing through the acts and interacting with NPCs to get tid bits of information about sanctuary, and then stopped after you played through it to the end despite the continued play on harder difficulties.

Warcraft universe Used to be entirely from campaigns like Starcraft and then transitioned into WoW which basically made campaigns on a regular basis that you played through by yourself of with friends.

Not to mention the diligent writing staff they have that releases books on all these topics.

Hearthstone at the moment has no conceivable lore and simply has many characters from throughout the Warcraft universe massed up into decks that people play regardless of previous lore like alliance heroes playing Tauren warriors. Lore does exist for it's components (the cards and the heroes) but are simply mashed up in a way that is fun and engaging.

Personally I feel that unless they are secretly making a campaign for this game which would play out a lot like Diablo would I suppose (with the one hero running around killing stuff with 4 abilities) That the extent of the lore found in Heroes of the storm will be in the little phrases characters say to each other when they see each other in a battle. This game, much like hearthstone in my opinion, seems to be focused on quick games with a completely unknown hero composition to the Dev team which makes it incredibly difficult if you were trying to write a story with short multiplayer battles. While the introduction level will have a slight amount of lore I don't think it will go much deeper, unless they decided to write a book in the nexus or something. Much like Kweidon said when you have skins like Murkablo and you basically make things up all the time for the heroes it can also be difficult to make undisputable canon for each hero and skin type in the parallel universe, maybe they will have flavor text for each skin which could quialify as some limited lore but I don't see it going further than that. All I see here is "here is a parallel univers, have fun".

I know and understand but the lore can be just like in LoL, is not really really deep but there's some lore, you see the character story, you get some information about how their story have progressed after they arrived, they even add story information in the skins or they just release a piece of info every now and then...

#13 February 21, 2014 22:52

Krunk Offline

I could see them adding some flavor text to new skin, similarly to what you and I previously suggested, I just don't know after that. Most of their interviews seem to bring up how happy they are to break away from all the existing lore, but who knows. I'm sure they will have some small bits, I just don't think they would invest the staff into writing lore on a mash-up game. At least with LoL they had to make up brand new characters so it sort of makes sense for them to write lore because no one really knows who there's characters are day 1, whereas we already know a lot about all of these heroes before beta even hits.

It'd be nice to have some new story to experience I just don't see why they would bother =/ when they have 2 expansion packs in production, a soon to release expansion, another game in beta, and then another game which they are making from scratch (so much lore to write there).

My life for Auir.

#14 February 24, 2014 03:29

SgtTenor Offline

Didn't see the Q&A yet but saw the match on Dragonshire. Pretty cool. Man so much was going on. Heroes hitting the mercenary camps...... Heroes going for the shrines..... Heroes pushing lanes etc. This is going to be so much fun. Can't wait for news on the Beta. Highly doubt that I will be in because I'm never that lucky.

#15 February 28, 2014 17:20

Krunk Offline

Was looking through some datamined info on hero skins and it doesn't look like most if not all of the skins currently have little blurbs attached to them trying to make some sense of the skin. It's a little lore for individual skins but they aren't tied together at all. just a bunch of parallel universe with little descriptions. Pretty cool though if they keep all those in.

My life for Auir.

Board footer