Contact FAQ About us

You are not logged in.

#1 November 30, 2013 00:22

Reyn Offline

Re: What will the competitive scene be

I'm curious whether or not HOTS will have a competitive scene similar to Lol, Starcraft, and Dota. Will there be competitions with cash prizes? If so then how hard would it be to become a professional player, blizzard seems to want to make the game rather casual.

#2 November 30, 2013 06:47

Kweidon Offline
Writer

Their mantra on their games now seems to be "easy to learn, difficult to master." You can't really say if a game will become eSports or not, but the chances are higher if the developers do their jobs right. They'll be implementing the tools necessary for the scene, such as spectator mode, match replays and the map editor. They're saying that they're not pushing this to eSports per say, but they'll be looking at where the community goes with the game, and supporting it in any way they can... Which is a very PR thing to say, of course they'll be wanting this to become an eSport. tongue

#3 November 30, 2013 15:55

Krunk Offline

Considering how warcraft 3, starcraft 1 and 2, and wow all made it to the competitive scene I'm pretty hopeful that it will an esport. Like kweidon said blizzard won't make it happen it's up to the community.

My life for Auir.

#4 November 30, 2013 18:01

Ike Offline

If Heroes has a ranking system (for teams and/or solo players) there will be competition among players. From what I've heard Heroes will have very teamplay centric gameplay and I remember Justin Browder saying in some interview that playing didn't feel very casual even at the Blizzard offices. I'm pretty sure Heroes will already have some kind of a competitive scene at most a year after beta starts.

#5 December 1, 2013 20:16

SgtTenor Offline

Well watching those Blizzcon Matches was pretty exciting. More so than watching the 10 minute laning phases that are so apparent in LOL/DOTA2.

As mentioned before, It's the community that will make it. I can't imagine it not being the case. Even if the game is geared toward the 'casual' Market, I got to say I'm more interested in playing HOTS competitively than LOL or DOTA2.

#6 December 1, 2013 21:52

Renderi Offline

I hope they do not use same rating system as League of Legends because in a game like lol or dota or Heroes the game is all about playing as a team but I think its unfair if a good individual player gets a team that has bad individual players or trolls (cant really do anything to avoid those trolls) and end up losing the game + losing rating for reasons that are not caused by the player himself. You need some kind of system that calculates the value of individual players in that match and decreases or increases your rating based on that. Even thought I agree if you lose a game you should lose rating but you dont necessarily need to lose as much rating if you did well in that particular match. Same for if you win you should get more rating but depending how well you did you should get different amount of rating.

#7 December 1, 2013 22:59

SgtTenor Offline

They should still have some sort of system where you how many kills/assists/Deaths etc. Mostly for a sense of accomplishment I guess. I'm not one to rate my play on how many kills I have. I'd rather know that I helped my team get a victory.

Yet they still should keep that intact for those 'Elitist' perhaps.

#8 December 2, 2013 00:06

Krunk Offline

I assume a ladder system and player rating system would make it a bit easier to weed out the trolls, not 100% though. And they were at least tossing around the idea of making some sort of rating system for things like objectives and exp earned so they might be able to do a rating type thing for how productive you are? who knows.

My life for Auir.

#9 December 4, 2013 16:19

Thrimbor Offline

Probabily there will be some tournaments

#10 December 12, 2013 01:58

Stormrage Offline
FB Moderator
Website

So far we know for sure that all 3 games (Warcraft,Starcraft and Diablo) on which HOTS is based are in the competitive scene. So my guess is that it's safe to assume that this game will be no exception smile At least I hope so tongue

The things that you find impossible now, will be reality in the future!

#11 December 30, 2013 18:22

Prester Offline

i realy cant imagine blizzard greating a moba (the genre with the biggest boom right now, especially competitively) and not trying to make it a success in the competitive scene ...

#12 December 31, 2013 03:35

SneakyBeaver Offline

There is no doubt a competitive scene will evolve early in beta and grow.

#13 April 4, 2014 04:13

Vinfinis Offline

Tournament-style wise, maybe not. Blizzard intended that Heroes of the Storm be more casual focused. They already have Starcraft II as their big legacy esport. There might be tournaments, but smaller ones.

As for competition amongst player with a ranking system, that seems very likely.

Board footer